5.23.2010

{things that matter} things that don't
















I have to get on my soapbox {at least for today}.


My brother woke up today and officially started his summer. He also woke up to some tragic news. A guy he went to school and happened to be friends with got in a motorcycle accident that took his life. I will spare you the details, but tell you this: no helmet. Fact.


Now, this is already a tough issue for me as I've had a patient in the hospital who has already undergone SEVERAL surgeries and was on life support from a motorcycle accident. He was in pretty good shape {he wore a helmet}. His young daughter survived too.


I almost lost a classmate the summer I graduated from a motorcycle accident. She isn't even the same person anymore {she didn't wear a helmet}.


Things That Matter: I would never support anyone to buy a motorcycle, but I will say this. IF you're going to, please wear a helmet. When you get in a car, put on a seat belt. It's just not worth it.


Things That Don't: People may think it's more fashionable and cool to not wear some form of a safety harness. And honestly being on a motorcycle or driving in a car is dangerous enough. But does it really matter when it's the difference between life and death? Between a broken bone or being on a ventilator?


Some risks are worth taking in life. And some are just plain stupid.


I am praying that God heals this boy's family and friends from the hurt and pain they are going through right now. To see my own brother start his summer out this way only brings back my own painful memories.


1 shared some love:

Faith said...

My dad got into a motorcycle accident back when I was in school. He wore a body cast for months. I have been pretty anti-motorcycle ever since then. It's just not worth it. ((HUGS))

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio